Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wednesday Guest Blogger- Dave Tvedt from Woe is Me

I like to refer to my guest blogger today as the Emeril of scripture quoting. Dave Tvedt blogs over on Woe is Me and is also a fellow co-blogger on Kingdom Bloggers. His post are always fresh and at the heart of what God has laid upon him with ...BAM...a relevant passage or two from the Good Book.

A man of God, a prayer warrior and a new friend, be sure to show Dave a lot of love...







Team Spirit



I have talked to some buds about the 'hypocrisy' of being passionate for a football team and apathetic at church. So I know I aint the only dude out there that is challenged to be equally expressive for Jesus as I am for the Hawkeyes or the Vikings. Please don't misunderstand me; I am pretty demonstrative and uninhibited when it comes to my Faith. There have been several times that I have been the only person in a church of 200+ with my arms up during worship. And when someone with a microphone up front says "Let's shout unto the Lord." I will holler "I LOVE YOU, JESUS!" Sometimes startling the people in front of me. Now my enthusiasm may seem excessive to some, but in comparison to how some fans dress and act at a football game, I am still pretty mild in comparison. So below are a few suggestions that may make expressing your Love for Jesus as easy and fun as expressing your team Spirit. At the very least it will make Fellowship a little more interesting.

Are you a member of a large church that records its Sunday services so they can be aired on a local tv station? Make a sign that expresses your passion for the church you attend. As the camera operator pans the crowd jump and yell "Hallelujah! Number 1!" as you thrust the sign towards the camera. Be sure to use the station's call letters in your wording.

Face and body painting shouldn't be limited to the football fans either. If a 44 year old accountant, a father of four, can show his passion for a college he never attended or a professional team he follows, then a saved from death, Spirit filled, eternally loved child of God should do the do the same. By painting his face, bald head and hairy chest in specific colors, that accountant during the week lets everyone within a mile know which team he is down for. Go ahead and take the time and show your enthusiasm for Jesus on Sunday service in a similar manner. Don't limit the expression of your Joy to a big smile and a loud 'Good morning!' Let everyone on your way to and from church know your Joy by painting "Saved by Grace" on your chest in one color and "Jesus is Lord" on your back in another color. And if you are that 44 year old accountant, father of four who is also an eternally loved child of God, get the most value out of your time and effort by going straight from church to the game. Show off your Salvation at the game after you have shown off your team colors at church.

While watching a game, it isn't unusual slapping five or pumping a fist when something great happens. So why not do the same when a favorite verse is mentioned. Jump up and point to the sky when the speaker mentions a verse you read earlier in the week. Smugly state, "Oh yeah, that's what I am talking about," when your favorite verse is read from the pulpit.

Finally, show an equal amount of affection for your eternal brothers as you do for the brothers of the pigskin. Don't be one of those dudes that struggles to show affection for a BIC (Brutha In Christ) but can hug, chest bump and depending upon how much booze and how critical the game is, butt slap another fan. Show affection for each other with a chest bump, a bro hug or a slap on the backside. I would think that a quick slap on the rear would be better received than the usual greeting from back in Paul's day. I don’t know, maybe Tony C would be one to ask the question: Which is more awkward at church-a kiss on the cheek or a slap on the bottom?

I know what I wrote above is pretty goofy but honestly Church, is there any reason we can make ourselves look completely foolish for something as temporary as a football game and not be as unlimited in our passion for the Great Jesus? I know for me I can talk to anyone about sports but I can still get hesitant about sharing Jesus. I can jump up shouting as a 19 year old kid scores a touchdown, then why can't I do the same when someone declares Jesus as Lord or they get Baptized in Water or Spirit? Think about how great of Victory He has given you and those you are fellowshipping with on Sunday morning. This is my conviction, but I am willing to bet that I ain't the only dude Holy Spirit has gotten after about showing more of Holy Spirit? Ask Holy Spirit if you have been holding back on Him. Ask Holy Spirit how you can show more of your team Spirit.

Oh, clap your hands, all you peoples! Shout to God with the voice of triumph! For the LORD Most High is awesome He is a great King over all the earth. Psalm 47:1-2



Read more from Dave at Woe is Me and Kingdom Bloggers.

4 comments:

David said...

Props to Dave! Thanks for defining passion and priority.

A question or two for the church. Do we have anything to get excited about? Isn't it time become a cheerleader for Jesus and let the team take the field?

Tracy said...

Thanks for the encouragement to show my passion for Christ; and thanks for making me laugh!

Michelle said...

I enjoyed this. I need to share it with my DH. We nutty, UT fans could definitely learn something from this!

L said...

So true! Good post Dave.

Tony C - I gave you a shout out on my blog. Thank you for your service to our country.