Monday, December 28, 2009

2010 could finally be my year...(fingers crossed)!

I hope those of you who celebrated Christmas had a wonderful holiday. For the rest of you, I hope the time off allowed for more time spent with family and friends...and a few great shopping deals.

Please note that my posting frequency may suffer a bit between now and February 1st because I'm really pushed to help Mrs. Tony C with an application that is due on that date. She has graciously agreed to nominate yours truly for the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize, and the Norwegian Nobel Committee are sticklers for timely applications.



Tony C's 2010 goal






Excuse me?! What don't you understand?

After doing extensive research on the award (mostly in The Economist, Time Magazine, People and on Wikipedia), I'm convinced this blog, Tony C Today, has done as much or more than the most recent laureate in meeting Alfred Nobel's criteria that states the recipient:

'...shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.'

I submit to you that no where in the brief history of this blog (which is longer, however, than the current office occupied by the last person awarded) have I once: (a) called for war or started a rumor of war, (b) used my international influence via the internet to provoke ill-will between any nations, (c) advocated for more standing in our armed forces*, or (d) gathered/promoted a war congress.
* I know from personal experience there's already too much standing around in our armed services. It really gets old too.

Feel free to check my claim. It's all documented on this site in black and white...with a few pictures and an occasional diagram for aesthetic purposes.

Although it took a few weeks to convince Mrs. Tony C to take on the process (the application alone is over 300 pages), she was more than willing after I quoted a few excerpts from the most recent winner's acceptance speech just before Christmas. She was pretty fired up to hear a man speaking of war and the necessity for war wearing the coveted medallion around his neck. Although one quote in particular really got her going:

“At times, it even feels like we’re moving backwards. ... We see it in the way that religion is used to justify the murder of innocents by those who have distorted and defiled the great religion of Islam, and who attacked my country from Afghanistan. These extremists are not the first to kill in the name of God; the cruelties of the Crusades are amply recorded. But they remind us that no Holy War can be a just war. For if you truly believe that you are carrying out divine will, then there is no need for restraint — no need to spare the pregnant mother, or the medic, or the Red Cross worker, or even a person of one’s own faith. Such a warped view of religion is not just incompatible with the concept of peace, but I believe it’s incompatible with the very purpose of faith — for the one rule that lies at the heart of every major religion is that we do unto others as we would have them do unto us.” Barrack Obama, December 22, 2009

Doesn't look like our Christian President and laureate reads the Old Testament.

She also thought that Arnold Schwarzenegger had previously won the award and was highly agitated that the man responsible for killing all those little smelt fishes in California could possibly be worthy of such a humanitarian recognition. I delicately reminder Mrs. Tony C that Arnold had won the Mr. Olympia contest years ago which has Joe Wider's image on the medal. It was Albert Switzer, the French medical missionary in Africa, that won the Nobel Peace Price in 1952 for for his philosophy of Reverence for Life .







Arnold is actually Austrian and has never publicly been linked to either Nazi or gay-Nazi organizations (source Republican Party website).










I love seeing the tree-hugger in Mrs. Tony C get fired up...most of the time.

Now, I've been ready for months to submit my application and just needed a front...excuse me...nominator to complete the process. Sometimes it just takes the right motivation to rally people to your cause.

Well, I can't take all the credit...she found out about the million dollar purse too. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Poor Mrs C...or poor you for her tree hugging ways???

Anyways...my two cents is your out of the running due to your post on Scientology and New Agers. Sorry, faith divides and causes wars. :( Better luck next time.

David said...

Brilliant! You know my friend, there are a lot of awards people aspire to, but this one, it is in reach fro Tony C Today. You have a better chance of winning this than a bowling trophy!

I'm just wondering, like athletes that lost their Olympic medals for taking steroids, will the Anointed One lose his for a new war in Afghanistan or Iran?

And what about you, if you have an argument with some new-ager via comments, will that put your nomination in jeopardy?

I guess we'll have to wait 50 years to find out.

photogr said...

Actually for the 911 attacks, it was mostly Saudis that were the culprits. Never understood that claim.

Considering who won it last year, you would be a shoe in.

BeckeyZ said...

I think blogging should also be an olympic event. I would be more than happy with a bronze medal.

Chris Denning said...

Need any references?