Monday, October 19, 2009

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase...MLK

I've never done a post like the one you're about to read, but I'm afraid not to...

This past Sunday, I filled in for one of the Sunday School teacher where I attend church because he was travelling on business. It was the second time in the past three weeks he needed me to sub. No problem. The regular teacher is a very talented, Godly man who has been taking our college-aged young adults through the book of Genesis in great depth and with great enthusiasm. Good stuff.

Thinking it was best to let him finish Genesis when he could be there, I offered an alternative the first week I filled in on the history of the church (stop snoring please). Nothing ground-breaking by any stretch, but researched and informative to the best of my abilities.

Fast forwarding to yesterday, I had planned on sharing my personal testimony with the class. The teacher and I discussed that option along with one other that I had worked up, and I decided to share my journey with Christ that took a drastic detour when I was exactly the age of those in the class. Maybe they wouldn't make the same mistakes. No problem...familiar with the material (or better be)...easy gig.

In class, I took prayer request, we prayed for those request...amen. For a reason I only have one explanation, I told the class I was going a different direction than I had planned because I was feeling lead that way. We started discussing why people go to church, why people don't go to church, and a number of related issues. Everyone participated in the discussion...even the History Major who had sat silently a few weeks prior while I ran the timeline of the church through history (sorry to call you out Alan).

Wow.

But it gets better my friends. We left class and headed to worship service. A little drumming, a little singing, and I'm posted up next to Mrs. Tony C ready for the message. Our pastor had just finished a series on the Beatitudes the week prior, so we were heading into new territory. He started by stating that two different Sunday School classes had lessons that morning that apparently tied in with his message. One was planned and one was impromptu. I was thinking how cool that was when he started his message...on church and why we go!

I immediately looked around and made eye contact with members of the class.

It was an especially spirited service...even for Baptist (I kid!). Things were said that needed to be said....things from God. I have no doubt whatsoever on that fact. I hope people were listening...really listening.

Still later in the day, I get a text message from David over at Fire and Grace that he had attended a new church and was part of a wonderful worship service. Earlier in the week, I got a text from Dave at Woe is Me that he was filled with the joy of Christ and just wanted to share... a first to me. I opened my blogroll this morning to find a number of post about church services on several different blogs. Unusual? I would have to say I've never noticed that number of comments before today.

I turned on my radio heading to work, and the Christian music station tuned in was asking people to share good things that happened in the worship service on Sunday. I had never heard them do that before. As I drove and listened to person after person call in and share what had happened in their churches yesterday, I was overcome with excitement, joy...and even fear.

God is trying to talk to us. God is trying to move in us. Not just me. Not just a select few. He's trying to move in His people. Please stop and listen...submit...follow His will...share with others what He is doing in your life! I've never been a believer in chance or coincidence, and I'm not starting today.

Psalm 46:10 (New International Version)
Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.

5 comments:

Mrs. Tony C said...

Great stuff! I am excited to see where God is going with this!

David said...

Thanks Partner. The Bible says that the sheep know His voice. Sounds like you are one of the sheep. And I am going to stop there. :o)

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Jaw dropping here. Heart skipping a beat. I can hardly believe my eyes.

This is no coincidence, is it? Total GOD-incidence.

Just ... incredible -- how God weaves things of which we are so unaware...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing.

I. Am. In. Awe.

Burkulater said...

How very cool! I'd love to see our churches filled!

Unknown said...

The awesome thing about Psalm 46:10 is everything before Psalm 46:10. He bends bows and breaks swords, so what in the world are we striving so hard for?

Anyway, found you through Jennifer's blog and I'm not thinking that was a coincidence either.

I'll listen man!